Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ngor He and Heng Chye Porridge

My parents have been very excited about feeding #2. My dad, especially, have a good track record in getting #1 and #2 to eat when others have failed. One of the staples for chinese babies in my generation and my children's generation is Ngor He and Heng Chye. In english, Ngor He is threadfin and Heng Chye is spinach. My dad would buy Balai Ngor He and baby Heng Chye. My mum will cook porridge for #2. #2 loves this porridge since she was 6 months old.

Here it is, My Dad n Mom's Ngor He and Heng Chye Porridge

1 spoonful of rice
hot water enough to cover up to 1 inch above the rice
2 fifty cent sized ngor he without skin n bones
8 leaves heng chye
sesame oil
salt

Cook rice with hot water in mini slow cooker for 4 hours.
Chop heng chye very very finely.
Season fish with 1 dab of sesame oil and 1/2 dab of salt

When porridge is done, add heng chye. Cover and cook for 20-30mins.
While this is happening, steam Ngor He til it is cook. This will take 5-10mins depending on the size and thickness of fish. Finely chop the Ngor He.

Add Ngor He to porridge, Mix, dish and serve.

Serves: 1 Baby for lunch and dinner
Time: 4.5hrs cooking, 30mins for preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment